The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater | Weaving Pages: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Monday, 8 April 2013

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Hi everyone!

So I have just finished Reading The Raven Boys by Maggie Steifvater and it's time for the review! Here it is:


Title: The Raven Boys
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Series: The Raven Cycle #1
Published: September 18th 2012
No. of Pages: 409
Rating:3.5 stars.


There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve," Neeve said. "Either you're his true love . . . or you killed him."

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.
Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them-not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.
His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.
But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He has it all-family money, good looks, devoted friends-but he's looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys.


My Thoughts: 

I like this book but the ley line, Paranormal thingy-ma-bob wasn't for me. I think it was more this subject that brought this book down for me. I don't mean that I don't like Paranormal books, I do. I just felt that in a way the story was a bit.. floaty, if you know what I mean. I felt that it wasn't really grounded, it's hard to explain right?


Blue has always been told that of she kisses her true love he will die. So when she sees a boy on corpse road and is told that he is either her true love or she killed him, well, she's worried. Then Gansey, the boy on the corpse road, appears with his bunch of friends at Blue's house. Blue's family members are psychic, so Blue finds it weird that some rich kids would be there. The fact is that Gansey is on a search for a king named Glendower. Glendower is supposed to grant a favour to anyone who wakes him, and their lead to him is the ley lines : places of great energy( I think..) Blue soon gets involved in this search and she joins them as they find weird and scary places.

That is basically the plot that the book revolves around. I don't think that the plot offers that many 'exciting' moments and I think it's just basically, meh. It is just you know, search for Ley lines, someone else is also searching, find a tree that makes you see visions and speak to trees that only speak Latin.
I think the book was probably too 'quiet' for my liking. Or maybe I had too high expectations.   ( I did expect the Raven boys to be kick-ass hot guys...)

Now the characters. Blue is the only one in her family who isn't a Psychic but she does make energy stronger. Blue isn't a kick-ass heroine but then she isn't a simpering little creature. She's in the middle. Like this book.
Then there's Gansey, he's rich and referred to by Blue as President Mobile Phone. I wouldn't put Gansey on my 'I want to marry him' list but he's ok.
Adam is the opposite of all the Raven Boys. He isn't rich but he works hard and and has to cope with his abusive father. :-(
Then we have Ronan. He basically doesn't get on with his brother and is scary. Simples. Although he does have a thing for ravens...
Then we have Noah who is described as smudgy. I was a bit confused as to what that meant.. Anyway, Noah is one of a kind.. You'll discover why if you read this book.

Looking online lots of people loved this book, so maybe there's something wrong with me??

Bye,



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...