Everbound by Brodi Ashton | Weaving Pages: Everbound by Brodi Ashton

Sunday, 14 April 2013

Everbound by Brodi Ashton

Hi Everyone!

I finished Everbound last night, and I reviewed Everneath yesterday. So here's the review for Everbound: (Spoilers for Everneath, You have been Warned! Other spoilers are in red.)

Title: Everbound
Author: Brodi Ashton
Series: Everneath #2
Published: January 22nd 2013
No. of pages: 358
Rating:4 stars

Nikki Beckett could only watch as her boyfriend, Jack, sacrificed himself to save her, taking her place in the Tunnels of the Everneath for eternity — a debt that should’ve been hers. She’s living a borrowed life, and she doesn’t know what to do with the guilt. And every night Jack appears in her dreams, lost and confused and wasting away.

Desperate for answers, Nikki turns to Cole, the immortal bad boy who wants to make her his queen — and the one person least likely to help. But his heart has been touched by everything about Nikki, and he agrees to assist her in the only way he can: by taking her to the Everneath himself.

Nikki and Cole descend into the Everneath, only to discover that their journey will be more difficult than they’d anticipated — and more deadly. But Nikki vows to stop at nothing to save Jack — even if it means making an incredible sacrifice of her own.

In this enthralling sequel to Everneath, Brodi Ashton tests the bonds of destiny and explores the lengths we’ll go to for the ones we love.


My Thoughts:

So I think I enjoyed this book more than the first one for some reason, maybe it was because there was more adventure. This book explores it's basis of mythology more than the first one as well, since quite a lot of it is set in the Everneath. This book also has the 'where I am, when' thing, so we also see quite a few flashbacks.

At the end of the last book, Jack sacrificed himself, which I did not expect, so this book is focused on Nikki's journey through the Everneath along with Cole, Max and a guy named Ashe, as she trys to find Jack.
At the beginning, Nikki is extremely depressed, and talks to Jack each night in her dreams. This is important because she is the reason he's still alive, much like Jack was the reason she was alive during the feed.
During the day, Nikki spends her time trying to guess where the Deads (Cole's band) will come next, because when she finds him, she hopes to get a piece of his hair, which can transport her to the Everneath.
Of course, like all our favourite reckless heroines, Nikki doesn't quite note that there is small problem in her amazing plan.
When she gets there, the queen, the shades, and pretty much all the Everlivings sense her energy, which means she probably is going to get eaten, but then Cole saves her.
So we get to plan B. Blackmail. Which works. (when in doubt, resort to Blackmail).
So now we get to our awesome journey through the Everneath. They have to go through a maze, through the Ring of Earth, Ring of Water, Ring of Wind and the Ring of Fire. You may wonder, how on earth, they make their way through a maze, and it is all down to a tether, made up of Nikki's memories of Jack (I imagine it as a compass needle). 
Their journey is pretty dangerous. That's probably because the Everneath is seriously messed up. They have things named wanderers, lakes of blood and guilt, and also fire made up of despair. They are very miserable. So let's just say, that the journey is pretty eventful.

Now onto Cole, if you read the Everneath review, you'll know that I was unsure, but leaning towards team Jack. Scratch that. I am so team Jack. Brodi Ashton managed to lull me into a false sense of security that Cole was becoming nice. And then comes the ending. You may not view it as the following but I thought that it was a killer cliffhanger/twist. It also completely changed my view of Cole. He is filled with betrayal and you shouldn't trust him. He is untrustworthy. I'm upset because I really wanted to like Cole and I was beginning to want him to be happy, but then, the ending comes, and my reaction is: Nooooo! How could you???

Anyway, this book probably caused a bigger reaction from me than the first one and I really enjoyed it. I liked how it has roots in mythology that you can relate to, which is good because I quite like books based on mythology. I'm a sucker for Greek Mythology in particular (I did a project in year 5 and I won in my class..!)

Bye Bye,
 



P.S. Do you like Mythology? Leave a comment, and tell me!


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...